Many companies are now starting to accept cryptocurrency, bitcoin in particular, as payment. These are companies across industries that now realize the value of digital currency that employs blockchain technology. However, can you travel and use cryptocurrency as payment?
Companies that Accept Cryptocurrency
Cryptocurrency is already accepted by major global companies such as Overstock, Expedia, Subway, PayPal, Shopify, Microsoft, Pizzaforcoins, Virgin Galactic, eGifter, Newegg, Dish Network, Roadway Moving Company, Reeds Jewelers, Gyft, CheapAir, Steam, Tesla, Zynga, 4Chan.org, Mint.com, Fancy.com, Square, Lionsgate Films, Badoo, Stripe, Bloomberg, BTCTrip, Etsy, Intuit, Tortuga, WordPress, and Magnificent Tea. These are just some of the many establishments that already serve customers who want to pay in bitcoins or in other cryptocurrencies.
Obviously, not all of these are relevant to travel. Only some of them make it possible to travel using bitcoins or cryptocurrency.
- Expedia – A division of Microsoft, Expedia is one example of a company that helps make it possible to travel. It is an online travel booking site with services that include airline ticket booking, car rentals, vacation packages, hotel reservations, and cruises.
- PayPal – This popular online payment service also has relevance to travel as it can be used to pay for various travel-related expenses. It can be used to book tickets and pay at online stores. In 2011, PayPal introduced PayPal Wallet, which makes it possible to make payments offline.
- BTCTrip – This company carries the slogan “fly with bitcoins.” It has been in operation since 2013 and has been helping cryptocurrency users in making use of their digital currencies for travel.
- Shopify – This is an e-commerce platform that supports cryptocurrency payments. You may find a number of Shopify-based online stores that are relevant to travel so it can be considered as something that supports travellers who pay in cryptocurrency.
- Virgin Galactic – This is another travel-related company but you may only be able to take advantage of its cryptocurrency support if you are fancying space travel. The company has yet to offer affordable space travel packages and has not yet flown any commercial space flight.
- CheapAir – A California-based travel company, CheapAir specializes in offering the cheapest flights possible. It is a cryptocurrency-accepting company that is relevant to travel so you can count on it if you want to fly to tourist destinations using cryptocurrency.
- Pizzaforcoins – This will let you order pizza (paid in bitcoin) anywhere and have it delivered to your doorstep. This can partly address your meals as you travel in different parts of the world.
- Stripe – In some cases, you may be able to take advantage of the bitcoin support of San Francisco based payments company Stripe. It is a financial services provider that specializes in online payment processing for internet businesses.
- Tortuga – If you are looking for a high-quality backpack you can use to carry your travel gadgets and accessories, clothes, snacks, and other things, Tortuga is a good store to turn to. They accept bitcoins as payment.
Can You Travel Using Cryptocurrency
As mentioned, there are travel-related companies that already accept bitcoin and other cryptocurrencies as payments. However, there aren’t that many of them yet. You may book your tickets or hotel reservation using cryptocurrency but you will most likely still need cash or your credit card once you arrive at your destination. You can’t find that many destinations where most stores and establishments accept cryptocurrency.
If you plan on going to places and expect establishments to accept your cryptocurrency as payment, think again. It’s likely that your cryptocurrency will be refused. Stores may even be baffled with what you are trying to do.
However, you have the option of use cryptocurrency exchanges. There are exchanges that allow you to complete the transaction online and withdraw the fiat currency you “exchanged” for your cryptocurrency through ATMs. The transaction may not be instantaneous, though. You may have to wait for a day or several hours before you can get the equivalent fiat currency for your cryptocurrency.
In summary, yes it is possible to travel with cryptocurrency. However, in most cases you will still need to have cash or other traditional payment methods to get by. Cryptocurrency is becoming popular but not yet that popular that you can go to places with just your cryptocurrency as your travel funds.